Billed after 19-hour wait
A Texas woman who spent 19 hours in an emergency room, waiting in vain for someone to treat her broken leg, has now been sent a bill. Amber Milbrodt, 29, limped out of Parkland Memorial Hospital after fruitlessly waiting for treatment. The hospital now says Milbrodt owes it $162 because a nurse briefly checked her vital signs. “She’s not paying for waiting,” explained Parkland billing official Rick Rhine. “She’s paying for the assessment she received.”
Cell phone pornography
At least 200 Michigan high school students are facing criminal charges after a 14-year-old girl used her cell phone to send around a naked picture of herself. County Sheriff Bob Bezotte says possessing the photo violates child pornography laws. Officials are demanding that all students who received the photo turn in their cell phones or face prosecution. Phones containing the illicit image, officials say, “will be confiscated and not returned.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
Subscribe to the Week