any social critics have blamed the distractions of technology for weakening family ties, but 47% of adults said the Internet, cell phones, and other devices had actually improved communication within the family. Only 11% said they have harmed family cohesion.
Pew Internet and American Life Project
84% of Americans believe the next president will face challenges that are “more serious” than previous presidents have faced.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 9, 2013
- The emerging budget deal is a small victory for Republicans
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
Subscribe to the Week