SLS Beverly Hills
French designer Phillippe Starck “is bored with the boutique hotel,” said David Keeps in Travel + Leisure. He’s trying to devise something better. The SLS Beverly Hills, opening this month, aspires to “hit the sweet spot between a trendy boutique hotel and a formal five-star establishment.” Starck and his team have rethought virtually every hotel attraction. A shopping and dining space off the lobby contains a patisserie and sells such items as bicycles made by Swedish artisans. The 297 minimalist rooms feature beds that appear to float, with glass headboards—so guests can watch their spouses sleep if they are working late.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Will the Higgs Boson destroy the universe in a cosmic death bubble?
- The impossible promise at the heart of Scotland's campaign for independence
Subscribe to the Week