SLS Beverly Hills
French designer Phillippe Starck “is bored with the boutique hotel,” said David Keeps in Travel + Leisure. He’s trying to devise something better. The SLS Beverly Hills, opening this month, aspires to “hit the sweet spot between a trendy boutique hotel and a formal five-star establishment.” Starck and his team have rethought virtually every hotel attraction. A shopping and dining space off the lobby contains a patisserie and sells such items as bicycles made by Swedish artisans. The 297 minimalist rooms feature beds that appear to float, with glass headboards—so guests can watch their spouses sleep if they are working late.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
Subscribe to the Week