SLS Beverly Hills
French designer Phillippe Starck “is bored with the boutique hotel,” said David Keeps in Travel + Leisure. He’s trying to devise something better. The SLS Beverly Hills, opening this month, aspires to “hit the sweet spot between a trendy boutique hotel and a formal five-star establishment.” Starck and his team have rethought virtually every hotel attraction. A shopping and dining space off the lobby contains a patisserie and sells such items as bicycles made by Swedish artisans. The 297 minimalist rooms feature beds that appear to float, with glass headboards—so guests can watch their spouses sleep if they are working late.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- The next pandemic
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
Subscribe to the Week