SLS Beverly Hills
French designer Phillippe Starck “is bored with the boutique hotel,” said David Keeps in Travel + Leisure. He’s trying to devise something better. The SLS Beverly Hills, opening this month, aspires to “hit the sweet spot between a trendy boutique hotel and a formal five-star establishment.” Starck and his team have rethought virtually every hotel attraction. A shopping and dining space off the lobby contains a patisserie and sells such items as bicycles made by Swedish artisans. The 297 minimalist rooms feature beds that appear to float, with glass headboards—so guests can watch their spouses sleep if they are working late.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to stop Black Thursday — and still score that big screen
- How to deep fry a turkey
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
Subscribe to the Week