SLS Beverly Hills
French designer Phillippe Starck “is bored with the boutique hotel,” said David Keeps in Travel + Leisure. He’s trying to devise something better. The SLS Beverly Hills, opening this month, aspires to “hit the sweet spot between a trendy boutique hotel and a formal five-star establishment.” Starck and his team have rethought virtually every hotel attraction. A shopping and dining space off the lobby contains a patisserie and sells such items as bicycles made by Swedish artisans. The 297 minimalist rooms feature beds that appear to float, with glass headboards—so guests can watch their spouses sleep if they are working late.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week