Anne Hathaway still isn’t sure what hit her, says W. The 25-year-old actress recently endured a ferocious tabloid storm over the arrest on fraud and money-laundering charges of her live-in boyfriend, Italian businessman Raffaello Follieri. Hathaway broke up with Follieri just before he was arrested, after newspapers reported that he’d posed as a representative of the Vatican and swindled investors out of millions of dollars he then used to pose as a wealthy heir. “It’s a situation where the rug was pulled out from under me all of a sudden,” she says. She found herself with no place to live, and tabloids mocking her for not knowing her boyfriend was a fraud. Friends came to her rescue, offering her places to crash for a while as well as moral support. “I’ve been shown such kindness,” she says, wiping away a tear. “Not everyone gets that. A lot of people go through tough times alone.” But mostly, she says, she has had to find strength she wasn’t sure she had. “At different stages of my life, I’ve felt I’ve been two ages simultaneously. I’d be a professional working adult and also a typical 13-year-old,” she says. “Right now I have the distinct feeling that I’m two ages again, and the older part of me that I relied on many times in the past in difficult moments, that’s the part that got me here. That’s the part that says, ‘You do your job, you keep your head up.’”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week