OOD DAY FOR: Crossover appeal, as Walmart’s Sam’s Club division is opening a new warehouse chain targeted toward Hispanics, called Mas Club. The first one is scheduled to open in Houston before next June. Sam’s Club has been working to expand its membership base. Shoppers will need a separate membership to shop in Mas Club. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Poles vaulting, as Ireland is on track to have negative net immigration for the first time in 14 years, due to large numbers of Eastern Europeans heading back home. The Poles and other immigrants have helped fuel Ireland’s 10-year economic boom. Now that Ireland is in a recession and unemployment has hit an 11-year high, the job opportunities are increasingly back home. Poland’s economy is still growing more than 5 percent. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week