GOOD DAY FOR: Crossover appeal, as Walmart’s Sam’s Club division is opening a new warehouse chain targeted toward Hispanics, called Mas Club. The first one is scheduled to open in Houston before next June. Sam’s Club has been working to expand its membership base. Shoppers will need a separate membership to shop in Mas Club. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Poles vaulting, as Ireland is on track to have negative net immigration for the first time in 14 years, due to large numbers of Eastern Europeans heading back home. The Poles and other immigrants have helped fuel Ireland’s 10-year economic boom. Now that Ireland is in a recession and unemployment has hit an 11-year high, the job opportunities are increasingly back home. Poland’s economy is still growing more than 5 percent. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- House hunting: 6 stunning historic conversions
Subscribe to the Week