OOD DAY FOR: Crossover appeal, as Walmart’s Sam’s Club division is opening a new warehouse chain targeted toward Hispanics, called Mas Club. The first one is scheduled to open in Houston before next June. Sam’s Club has been working to expand its membership base. Shoppers will need a separate membership to shop in Mas Club. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Poles vaulting, as Ireland is on track to have negative net immigration for the first time in 14 years, due to large numbers of Eastern Europeans heading back home. The Poles and other immigrants have helped fuel Ireland’s 10-year economic boom. Now that Ireland is in a recession and unemployment has hit an 11-year high, the job opportunities are increasingly back home. Poland’s economy is still growing more than 5 percent. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week