GOOD DAY FOR: Crossover appeal, as Walmart’s Sam’s Club division is opening a new warehouse chain targeted toward Hispanics, called Mas Club. The first one is scheduled to open in Houston before next June. Sam’s Club has been working to expand its membership base. Shoppers will need a separate membership to shop in Mas Club. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Poles vaulting, as Ireland is on track to have negative net immigration for the first time in 14 years, due to large numbers of Eastern Europeans heading back home. The Poles and other immigrants have helped fuel Ireland’s 10-year economic boom. Now that Ireland is in a recession and unemployment has hit an 11-year high, the job opportunities are increasingly back home. Poland’s economy is still growing more than 5 percent. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week