GOOD DAY FOR: Crossover appeal, as Walmart’s Sam’s Club division is opening a new warehouse chain targeted toward Hispanics, called Mas Club. The first one is scheduled to open in Houston before next June. Sam’s Club has been working to expand its membership base. Shoppers will need a separate membership to shop in Mas Club. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Poles vaulting, as Ireland is on track to have negative net immigration for the first time in 14 years, due to large numbers of Eastern Europeans heading back home. The Poles and other immigrants have helped fuel Ireland’s 10-year economic boom. Now that Ireland is in a recession and unemployment has hit an 11-year high, the job opportunities are increasingly back home. Poland’s economy is still growing more than 5 percent. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week