“After watching Zac Efron and director Kenny Ortega deliver a $42 million opening weekend for High School Musical 3,” said Michael Fleming in Variety online, Paramount Pictures has “fast-tracked” a remake of the 1984 film Footloose, with Efron as the lead and Ortega behind the lens. It will probably pay off, too: The original Footloose “spawned one of the biggest-selling soundtracks of its era and made a star of Kevin Bacon.”
Like it or not, said Alex Billington in FirstShowing.net, musicals are hot again in Hollywood. I’m actually happy that Footloose is getting remade. And if it “turns out to be anything like Hairspray, which also starred Efron,” it will be great.
We'll all suffer for HSM3's success, said Clint Morris in Moviehole.net. Paramount spent the “last couple of years developing” a Footloose remake, which is “code for ‘just in case this is the worst idea we’ve ever had, let’s leave it for a while.’” Now, it’s becoming a reality.
And you know what this means, right? said The Movie Blog. Now that a Footloose remake is being “thrust upon us,” it’s “only a matter of time before Dirty Dancing gets the remake treatment as well.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week