“After watching Zac Efron and director Kenny Ortega deliver a $42 million opening weekend for High School Musical 3,” said Michael Fleming in Variety online, Paramount Pictures has “fast-tracked” a remake of the 1984 film Footloose, with Efron as the lead and Ortega behind the lens. It will probably pay off, too: The original Footloose “spawned one of the biggest-selling soundtracks of its era and made a star of Kevin Bacon.”
Like it or not, said Alex Billington in FirstShowing.net, musicals are hot again in Hollywood. I’m actually happy that Footloose is getting remade. And if it “turns out to be anything like Hairspray, which also starred Efron,” it will be great.
We'll all suffer for HSM3's success, said Clint Morris in Moviehole.net. Paramount spent the “last couple of years developing” a Footloose remake, which is “code for ‘just in case this is the worst idea we’ve ever had, let’s leave it for a while.’” Now, it’s becoming a reality.
And you know what this means, right? said The Movie Blog. Now that a Footloose remake is being “thrust upon us,” it’s “only a matter of time before Dirty Dancing gets the remake treatment as well.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week