“After watching Zac Efron and director Kenny Ortega deliver a $42 million opening weekend for High School Musical 3,” said Michael Fleming in Variety online, Paramount Pictures has “fast-tracked” a remake of the 1984 film Footloose, with Efron as the lead and Ortega behind the lens. It will probably pay off, too: The original Footloose “spawned one of the biggest-selling soundtracks of its era and made a star of Kevin Bacon.”
Like it or not, said Alex Billington in FirstShowing.net, musicals are hot again in Hollywood. I’m actually happy that Footloose is getting remade. And if it “turns out to be anything like Hairspray, which also starred Efron,” it will be great.
We'll all suffer for HSM3's success, said Clint Morris in Moviehole.net. Paramount spent the “last couple of years developing” a Footloose remake, which is “code for ‘just in case this is the worst idea we’ve ever had, let’s leave it for a while.’” Now, it’s becoming a reality.
And you know what this means, right? said The Movie Blog. Now that a Footloose remake is being “thrust upon us,” it’s “only a matter of time before Dirty Dancing gets the remake treatment as well.”
- 10 things you need to know today: December 11, 2013
- The last racial taboo
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch The Daily Show roll its eyes at outrage over Obama's handshake with Raul Castro
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
- The secrets of happy families
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
Subscribe to the Week