“After watching Zac Efron and director Kenny Ortega deliver a $42 million opening weekend for High School Musical 3,” said Michael Fleming in Variety online, Paramount Pictures has “fast-tracked” a remake of the 1984 film Footloose, with Efron as the lead and Ortega behind the lens. It will probably pay off, too: The original Footloose “spawned one of the biggest-selling soundtracks of its era and made a star of Kevin Bacon.”
Like it or not, said Alex Billington in FirstShowing.net, musicals are hot again in Hollywood. I’m actually happy that Footloose is getting remade. And if it “turns out to be anything like Hairspray, which also starred Efron,” it will be great.
We'll all suffer for HSM3's success, said Clint Morris in Moviehole.net. Paramount spent the “last couple of years developing” a Footloose remake, which is “code for ‘just in case this is the worst idea we’ve ever had, let’s leave it for a while.’” Now, it’s becoming a reality.
And you know what this means, right? said The Movie Blog. Now that a Footloose remake is being “thrust upon us,” it’s “only a matter of time before Dirty Dancing gets the remake treatment as well.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week