I don’t think I’m the only one with a case of “elective compulsive disorder—a relentless obsession about this election,” said Patt Morrison in the Los Angeles Times. Polls, weather patterns in Ohio, more polls—“nothing’s too minor to obsess over.” ECD is everywhere: bumper-sticker road rage, stealing lawn signs, and worse. Luckily, with less than a week left, “the end of crazy is in sight.”
Compulsion? How about “sudden election fatigue syndrome?” said Jeralyn Merritt in TalkLeft. “I’m electioned out,” avoiding the national news, and rarely checking the Internet. Maybe it would be different if the election were closer, but it seems over, and things may not get interesting again until January.
Well, you clearly haven’t caught the “Obama derangement syndrome” that’s “sweeping the nation,” said Kirsten Powers in the New York Post. This malady, “the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people” over anything to do with Barack Obama, is an offshoot of “Bush derangement syndrome,” except this time “it’s bipartisan,” afflicting Republicans and Hillary Clinton supporters alike.
If you can’t take it any more, said Bill McEwen in The Fresno Bee, it turns out there’s a “perfect remedy for voter-fatigue syndrome”—voting early. Many states now allow it, and once you cast your ballot, you can ignore Keith Olbermann, Sean Hannity, Joe the Plumber, and all the gossip and innuendo of the “silly season.” It feels great.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 3 key insights about Obama from Chuck Todd's The Stranger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
Subscribe to the Week