GOOD DAY FOR: Exxon Mobil, after the oil giant posted a $14.38 billion quarterly profit, the largest in U.S. history. That’s a 58 percent jump in net income. Prospects for the next quarter are dampened by the 50 percent drop in oil prices, from record highs in July, and expectations of weaker demand as the global economy slows. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Just desserts, after an Australian tourist pub was accused of serving a customer frozen feces in her chocolate gelato. Jessica Whyte, who is seeking $860,000 in damages, said the “kitchen revenge” was due to requests that the music be turned down so she and her husband could hear a sportscaster. The state food minister said there was feces in the gelato, but the pub says its tests came back negative. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
Subscribe to the Week