OOD DAY FOR: Exxon Mobil, after the oil giant posted a $14.38 billion quarterly profit, the largest in U.S. history. That’s a 58 percent jump in net income. Prospects for the next quarter are dampened by the 50 percent drop in oil prices, from record highs in July, and expectations of weaker demand as the global economy slows. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Just desserts, after an Australian tourist pub was accused of serving a customer frozen feces in her chocolate gelato. Jessica Whyte, who is seeking $860,000 in damages, said the “kitchen revenge” was due to requests that the music be turned down so she and her husband could hear a sportscaster. The state food minister said there was feces in the gelato, but the pub says its tests came back negative. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week