GOOD DAY FOR: Exxon Mobil, after the oil giant posted a $14.38 billion quarterly profit, the largest in U.S. history. That’s a 58 percent jump in net income. Prospects for the next quarter are dampened by the 50 percent drop in oil prices, from record highs in July, and expectations of weaker demand as the global economy slows. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Just desserts, after an Australian tourist pub was accused of serving a customer frozen feces in her chocolate gelato. Jessica Whyte, who is seeking $860,000 in damages, said the “kitchen revenge” was due to requests that the music be turned down so she and her husband could hear a sportscaster. The state food minister said there was feces in the gelato, but the pub says its tests came back negative. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week