OOD DAY FOR: Exxon Mobil, after the oil giant posted a $14.38 billion quarterly profit, the largest in U.S. history. That’s a 58 percent jump in net income. Prospects for the next quarter are dampened by the 50 percent drop in oil prices, from record highs in July, and expectations of weaker demand as the global economy slows. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Just desserts, after an Australian tourist pub was accused of serving a customer frozen feces in her chocolate gelato. Jessica Whyte, who is seeking $860,000 in damages, said the “kitchen revenge” was due to requests that the music be turned down so she and her husband could hear a sportscaster. The state food minister said there was feces in the gelato, but the pub says its tests came back negative. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why cutting the government doesn't make it more efficient
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
Subscribe to the Week