OOD DAY FOR: Exxon Mobil, after the oil giant posted a $14.38 billion quarterly profit, the largest in U.S. history. That’s a 58 percent jump in net income. Prospects for the next quarter are dampened by the 50 percent drop in oil prices, from record highs in July, and expectations of weaker demand as the global economy slows. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Just desserts, after an Australian tourist pub was accused of serving a customer frozen feces in her chocolate gelato. Jessica Whyte, who is seeking $860,000 in damages, said the “kitchen revenge” was due to requests that the music be turned down so she and her husband could hear a sportscaster. The state food minister said there was feces in the gelato, but the pub says its tests came back negative. (Reuters)
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 7, 2013
- Girls on Film: Stephen Frears' pioneering platform for older actresses
- Are Democrats backing the GOP into another government shutdown?
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week