Welcome to “high-performance driving school.” Pop quiz: How much performance can GM offer in a six-figure car? Answer: This “stupid fast” supercharged 6.2-liter LS9 V8 goes from 0 to 60 in 3.4 seconds, and to 100 mph in 7.0 seconds. Its official top speed is 205 mph. This is a car that will make “heroes out of mere boys.”
This is the first sports car ever to pair “600 hp with 20 mpg” on highway mileage tests. The V8 may be the star, but its supporting cast includes a “look-at-me hood,” huge carbon-ceramic rotors that “take the fear out of late braking,” and a suspension system that filters out the worst of road rash. The “only notable warts” are bucket seats that provide virtually no thigh support.
Car and Driver
The “Bat Cave atmosphere” of the ZR1’s cockpit was impressive. Options include a Bose sound system, navigation, and a leather dash wrap for $10,000. But the real show starts when you press the gas pedal. On the first lap of our test run, acceleration was so violent that we had trouble breathing. “There were screams.” Unfortunately, steering on this Ferrari-stomper doesn’t have the lean feel of a Porsche 911.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- 10 things you need to know today: August 20, 2014
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
Subscribe to the Week