Daintree Eco Lodge and Spa
Near Port Douglas, Australia
This is one of the world’s greatest eco-lodges, said Costas Christ and Kate Siber in National Geographic Adventure. Operated in partnership with the local Kuku Yalanji tribe, the lodge consists of “15 elevated treehouse-like villas ensconced in a thick, misty rain forest” —the world’s oldest. Guides lead hiking tours “to see medicinal plants and ferns with 25-foot fronds,” and the Great Barrier Reef is less than an hour’s drive away. The Julaymba Restaurant, accessible by elevated boardwalks, overlooks a lagoon and offers gourmet spa cuisine, and an art gallery displays authentic local Aboriginal artwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
- How science can help you survive scary movies
Subscribe to the Week