Daintree Eco Lodge and Spa
Near Port Douglas, Australia
This is one of the world’s greatest eco-lodges, said Costas Christ and Kate Siber in National Geographic Adventure. Operated in partnership with the local Kuku Yalanji tribe, the lodge consists of “15 elevated treehouse-like villas ensconced in a thick, misty rain forest” —the world’s oldest. Guides lead hiking tours “to see medicinal plants and ferns with 25-foot fronds,” and the Great Barrier Reef is less than an hour’s drive away. The Julaymba Restaurant, accessible by elevated boardwalks, overlooks a lagoon and offers gourmet spa cuisine, and an art gallery displays authentic local Aboriginal artwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week