Daintree Eco Lodge and Spa
Near Port Douglas, Australia
This is one of the world’s greatest eco-lodges, said Costas Christ and Kate Siber in National Geographic Adventure. Operated in partnership with the local Kuku Yalanji tribe, the lodge consists of “15 elevated treehouse-like villas ensconced in a thick, misty rain forest” —the world’s oldest. Guides lead hiking tours “to see medicinal plants and ferns with 25-foot fronds,” and the Great Barrier Reef is less than an hour’s drive away. The Julaymba Restaurant, accessible by elevated boardwalks, overlooks a lagoon and offers gourmet spa cuisine, and an art gallery displays authentic local Aboriginal artwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
- The next pandemic
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week