aintree Eco Lodge and Spa
Near Port Douglas, Australia
This is one of the world’s greatest eco-lodges, said Costas Christ and Kate Siber in National Geographic Adventure. Operated in partnership with the local Kuku Yalanji tribe, the lodge consists of “15 elevated treehouse-like villas ensconced in a thick, misty rain forest” —the world’s oldest. Guides lead hiking tours “to see medicinal plants and ferns with 25-foot fronds,” and the Great Barrier Reef is less than an hour’s drive away. The Julaymba Restaurant, accessible by elevated boardwalks, overlooks a lagoon and offers gourmet spa cuisine, and an art gallery displays authentic local Aboriginal artwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week