Daintree Eco Lodge and Spa
Near Port Douglas, Australia
This is one of the world’s greatest eco-lodges, said Costas Christ and Kate Siber in National Geographic Adventure. Operated in partnership with the local Kuku Yalanji tribe, the lodge consists of “15 elevated treehouse-like villas ensconced in a thick, misty rain forest” —the world’s oldest. Guides lead hiking tours “to see medicinal plants and ferns with 25-foot fronds,” and the Great Barrier Reef is less than an hour’s drive away. The Julaymba Restaurant, accessible by elevated boardwalks, overlooks a lagoon and offers gourmet spa cuisine, and an art gallery displays authentic local Aboriginal artwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week