Annie Proulx wishes she had never written Brokeback Mountain, said Susan Salter Reynolds in the Los Angeles Times. The 73-year-old Pulitzer Prize winner doesn’t care that her 1997 story, about two homosexual cowboys, upsets her Wyoming neighbors. Or that the movie made from it is better known than any of her novels. What bothers her are the screenplays and unpublished manuscripts she receives from men who want to rewrite or expand the story, suggesting she left it incomplete. “The cover letters,” she says, “always begin with the sentence, ‘I’m not gay,’ but they think that just because they are men, they understand men better than I do.” Proulx’s four grown children know enough not to offer opinions about her books. “It’s not that we don’t get along,” she says. “It’s just that we don’t talk about my writing.”
Writing is a solitary pursuit for Proulx, but she’s begun to feel life in Wyoming provides a bit too much solitude. She’s at an age when the remoteness of her home on the North Platte River causes her worries about medical emergencies. “I moved to Wyoming for the long sightlines and the walkability,” she says. “But I’ve had enough.” She’s also made slightly uncomfortable by neighbors who know she’s passed judgment on them over the years. “Everyone here is playing a role: the brave pioneer woman, the cowboy,” she says. In short, Proulx and her pen have worn out their welcome. “The downside of the writing life,” she says, “is that you are a constant observer of other people’s lives.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
Subscribe to the Week