OOD DAY FOR: A dog’s life, after a Berlin soup kitchen opened that serves only the pets of homeless and unemployed people. “Making sure dogs don’t go hungry is just as important as making sure that people don’t starve,” said program director Claudia Hollm. The food is donated by pet food makers and other corporate sponsors. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Tripped circuits, after the No. 2 consumer electronics chain Circuit City announced plans to close 155 of its 700 stores by the end of the year. As part of the move, Circuit City is laying off 17 percent of its domestic work force. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week