OOD DAY FOR: A dog’s life, after a Berlin soup kitchen opened that serves only the pets of homeless and unemployed people. “Making sure dogs don’t go hungry is just as important as making sure that people don’t starve,” said program director Claudia Hollm. The food is donated by pet food makers and other corporate sponsors. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Tripped circuits, after the No. 2 consumer electronics chain Circuit City announced plans to close 155 of its 700 stores by the end of the year. As part of the move, Circuit City is laying off 17 percent of its domestic work force. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Attack of the invasive species
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week