GOOD DAY FOR: A dog’s life, after a Berlin soup kitchen opened that serves only the pets of homeless and unemployed people. “Making sure dogs don’t go hungry is just as important as making sure that people don’t starve,” said program director Claudia Hollm. The food is donated by pet food makers and other corporate sponsors. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Tripped circuits, after the No. 2 consumer electronics chain Circuit City announced plans to close 155 of its 700 stores by the end of the year. As part of the move, Circuit City is laying off 17 percent of its domestic work force. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Surviving a plane crash
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Stop freaking out over the West's jihadi tourists
Subscribe to the Week