GOOD DAY FOR: A dog’s life, after a Berlin soup kitchen opened that serves only the pets of homeless and unemployed people. “Making sure dogs don’t go hungry is just as important as making sure that people don’t starve,” said program director Claudia Hollm. The food is donated by pet food makers and other corporate sponsors. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Tripped circuits, after the No. 2 consumer electronics chain Circuit City announced plans to close 155 of its 700 stores by the end of the year. As part of the move, Circuit City is laying off 17 percent of its domestic work force. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
Subscribe to the Week