GOOD DAY FOR: A dog’s life, after a Berlin soup kitchen opened that serves only the pets of homeless and unemployed people. “Making sure dogs don’t go hungry is just as important as making sure that people don’t starve,” said program director Claudia Hollm. The food is donated by pet food makers and other corporate sponsors. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Tripped circuits, after the No. 2 consumer electronics chain Circuit City announced plans to close 155 of its 700 stores by the end of the year. As part of the move, Circuit City is laying off 17 percent of its domestic work force. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week