Joaquin Phoenix, who earned an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Johnny Cash in Walk the Line, was so persuaded by his own performance that he’s decided to quit acting to pursue a career in music. Appearing at the premiere of his final film with the words “good bye” written on his knuckles last week, Phoenix explained, “It’s like greener pastures, you know what I mean?” He added, “Hopefully, I will emotionally impact you with that as well.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week