Joaquin Phoenix, who earned an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Johnny Cash in Walk the Line, was so persuaded by his own performance that he’s decided to quit acting to pursue a career in music. Appearing at the premiere of his final film with the words “good bye” written on his knuckles last week, Phoenix explained, “It’s like greener pastures, you know what I mean?” He added, “Hopefully, I will emotionally impact you with that as well.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- Stop hating on cyclists
Subscribe to the Week