Joaquin Phoenix, who earned an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Johnny Cash in Walk the Line, was so persuaded by his own performance that he’s decided to quit acting to pursue a career in music. Appearing at the premiere of his final film with the words “good bye” written on his knuckles last week, Phoenix explained, “It’s like greener pastures, you know what I mean?” He added, “Hopefully, I will emotionally impact you with that as well.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week