avallo Point Lodge
Fort Baker, Calif.
This historic site, set among “the spectacular string of promontories known as the Marin Headlands,” was reborn in July, said the editors of Travel + Leisure. Formerly of “great strategic value to the military,” the grounds of Fort Baker remain dotted with decommissioned gun batteries and missile installations. But this luxurious lodge, spa, and center for environmentally themed conferences has joined the old weaponry in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge. Guests stay in the restored former officers’ quarters, sleep on organic linens, and can indulge in “an herbal hot-stone massage” or relax at the Tea Bar.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week