avallo Point Lodge
Fort Baker, Calif.
This historic site, set among “the spectacular string of promontories known as the Marin Headlands,” was reborn in July, said the editors of Travel + Leisure. Formerly of “great strategic value to the military,” the grounds of Fort Baker remain dotted with decommissioned gun batteries and missile installations. But this luxurious lodge, spa, and center for environmentally themed conferences has joined the old weaponry in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge. Guests stay in the restored former officers’ quarters, sleep on organic linens, and can indulge in “an herbal hot-stone massage” or relax at the Tea Bar.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week