Cavallo Point Lodge
Fort Baker, Calif.
This historic site, set among “the spectacular string of promontories known as the Marin Headlands,” was reborn in July, said the editors of Travel + Leisure. Formerly of “great strategic value to the military,” the grounds of Fort Baker remain dotted with decommissioned gun batteries and missile installations. But this luxurious lodge, spa, and center for environmentally themed conferences has joined the old weaponry in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge. Guests stay in the restored former officers’ quarters, sleep on organic linens, and can indulge in “an herbal hot-stone massage” or relax at the Tea Bar.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
Subscribe to the Week