Cavallo Point Lodge
Fort Baker, Calif.
This historic site, set among “the spectacular string of promontories known as the Marin Headlands,” was reborn in July, said the editors of Travel + Leisure. Formerly of “great strategic value to the military,” the grounds of Fort Baker remain dotted with decommissioned gun batteries and missile installations. But this luxurious lodge, spa, and center for environmentally themed conferences has joined the old weaponry in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge. Guests stay in the restored former officers’ quarters, sleep on organic linens, and can indulge in “an herbal hot-stone massage” or relax at the Tea Bar.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
Subscribe to the Week