avallo Point Lodge
Fort Baker, Calif.
This historic site, set among “the spectacular string of promontories known as the Marin Headlands,” was reborn in July, said the editors of Travel + Leisure. Formerly of “great strategic value to the military,” the grounds of Fort Baker remain dotted with decommissioned gun batteries and missile installations. But this luxurious lodge, spa, and center for environmentally themed conferences has joined the old weaponry in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge. Guests stay in the restored former officers’ quarters, sleep on organic linens, and can indulge in “an herbal hot-stone massage” or relax at the Tea Bar.
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- China's massive pollution problem
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- The executioners' lament
Subscribe to the Week