Mystery Science Theater 3000: 20th Anniversary Edition
(Shout Factory! $63)
This is the box set for “that friend who loves to make loud, sarcastic comments” during movies, said The Washington Post. The show, which aired campy sci-fi films while its hosts cracked wise, went from Minnesota public TV to cult classic.
The Donna Reed Show
(Arts Alliance America, $39.95)
Donna Reed recalls a time when mothers “wore pearls to do housework, not to go to work,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Those days are long gone, but the first season of this classic TV show proves a fascinating “exercise in nostalgia” and window into the past.
Journey to the Center of the Earth
(New Line, $28.99)
This sci-fi adventure very nearly “packs as much punch” at home as in the theater, said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. The most recent, 3-D version of Jules Verne’s classic about a scientist who journeys into Earth’s core even comes with appropriate eyewear.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week