Mystery Science Theater 3000: 20th Anniversary Edition
(Shout Factory! $63)
This is the box set for “that friend who loves to make loud, sarcastic comments” during movies, said The Washington Post. The show, which aired campy sci-fi films while its hosts cracked wise, went from Minnesota public TV to cult classic.
The Donna Reed Show
(Arts Alliance America, $39.95)
Donna Reed recalls a time when mothers “wore pearls to do housework, not to go to work,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Those days are long gone, but the first season of this classic TV show proves a fascinating “exercise in nostalgia” and window into the past.
Journey to the Center of the Earth
(New Line, $28.99)
This sci-fi adventure very nearly “packs as much punch” at home as in the theater, said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. The most recent, 3-D version of Jules Verne’s classic about a scientist who journeys into Earth’s core even comes with appropriate eyewear.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week