Mystery Science Theater 3000: 20th Anniversary Edition
(Shout Factory! $63)
This is the box set for “that friend who loves to make loud, sarcastic comments” during movies, said The Washington Post. The show, which aired campy sci-fi films while its hosts cracked wise, went from Minnesota public TV to cult classic.
The Donna Reed Show
(Arts Alliance America, $39.95)
Donna Reed recalls a time when mothers “wore pearls to do housework, not to go to work,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Those days are long gone, but the first season of this classic TV show proves a fascinating “exercise in nostalgia” and window into the past.
Journey to the Center of the Earth
(New Line, $28.99)
This sci-fi adventure very nearly “packs as much punch” at home as in the theater, said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. The most recent, 3-D version of Jules Verne’s classic about a scientist who journeys into Earth’s core even comes with appropriate eyewear.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week