Mystery Science Theater 3000: 20th Anniversary Edition
(Shout Factory! $63)
This is the box set for “that friend who loves to make loud, sarcastic comments” during movies, said The Washington Post. The show, which aired campy sci-fi films while its hosts cracked wise, went from Minnesota public TV to cult classic.
The Donna Reed Show
(Arts Alliance America, $39.95)
Donna Reed recalls a time when mothers “wore pearls to do housework, not to go to work,” said the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Those days are long gone, but the first season of this classic TV show proves a fascinating “exercise in nostalgia” and window into the past.
Journey to the Center of the Earth
(New Line, $28.99)
This sci-fi adventure very nearly “packs as much punch” at home as in the theater, said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. The most recent, 3-D version of Jules Verne’s classic about a scientist who journeys into Earth’s core even comes with appropriate eyewear.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Paul Allen's 'bitter' Bill-Gates-bashing memoir
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
Subscribe to the Week