OOD DAY FOR: Getting used, as the new wave of economy-fueled frugality is boosting sales at secondhand stores. While retailers like Macy’s are struggling, Winmark has seen double-digit jumps in same-store sales at its four used-item franchises, Plato’s Closet, Play It Again Sports, Once Upon a Child, and Music Go Round. Winmark itself posted a 19 percent jump in quarterly profit. Goodwill and Salvation Army have also reported increasing sales. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: Hedge funds, after new estimates from Singapore-based Eurekahedge have the global hedge fund industry losing $100 billion in assets in October. Market losses and investor withdrawals hammered the $1.7 trillion industry. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week