New pyramid found in Egypt
Archaeologists have found the remains of a previously unknown pyramid in Egypt. The 4,300-year-old structure, which once stood about 46 feet high, was discovered in Saqqara, a royal burial complex near Cairo. It is believed to belong to Sesheshet, the queen mother of the founder of Egypt’s Sixth Dynasty. With sides about 72 feet long, it is the 118th pyramid to be discovered in Egypt and the 12th in Saqqara. “You can always discover a tomb or a statue,” said Zahi Hawass, secretary general of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities, “but to discover a pyramid, it makes you happy. And a pyramid of a queen—queens have magic.”
Scoring with free throws at 73
A 73-year-old man has scored two points in a college basketball game. In 1956, Ken Mink was expelled from Lees College in Kentucky for allegedly soaping his coach’s office. Determined to finish his degree, he enrolled this year in Roane State Community College in Tennessee, where he made the basketball team. Entering in the second half of last week’s game against King College’s junior varsity team, Mink was fouled and made two free throws. “I just floated the shots in there,” he said. “I’m in the books now. I can relax a little bit.”
Amateur golfer scores five holes-in-one
Amateur golfer Curt Hocker has become a golfing legend. In the week between Oct. 29 and Nov. 4, he scored five holes-in-one at the El Paso Golf Club in Kappa, Ill., including two in one day. It’s all part of an extraordinary streak for Hocker; since last year he has scored a dozen holes-in-one or double eagles, an extremely rare score of three under par on any individual hole. “I don’t know what to think,” said Hocker, 22, who works in the club’s pro shop. “After each one I say it’s over, and it keeps happening.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week