Good week for:
Tony Dow, who played Wally Cleaver on Leave It to Beaver, after one of his abstract sculptures went on display at the Louvre. “I’m really proud of Leave It to Beaver,” the 63-year-old Dow said, “but I don’t think they know anything about that at the Louvre.”
Historic elections, after Silverton, Ore., elected Stu Rasmussen, the nation’s first transgender mayor. Rasmussen, 60, now wears women’s clothes and has breast implants. By not hiding his cross-dressing from the public, he said, “I’ve blackmail-proofed myself.”
Myopia, after the Terrell, Texas, Tribune did not even mention in its Nov. 5 edition that Barack Obama had won the presidential election because it was not local news. “We covered the local commissioner’s race,” said Tribune editor Bill Jordan. “We thought that was more important.”
Bad week for:
Doing unto others, after a feud between Armenian and Greek Orthodox monks at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem erupted into a punching and kicking brawl.
New Jersey Councilman Steven Lipski, who was arrested at a Grateful Dead tribute concert for urinating off the balcony onto the crowd below. The 44-year-old politician said that he had “resolved not to touch alcohol again.”
Florida, after entomologist Phil Koehler discovered that the Madagascar hissing cockroach, which grows to 5 inches long, is being sold as reptile food on the Internet. Koehler said that it is only a matter of time before some roaches escape and multiply in Florida’s climate. “This is not good news for anybody,” he said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
- Uncle Sam wants you to stay away from these countries
Subscribe to the Week