Democracy can be a tricky thing, said Christine M. Flowers in the Philadelphia Daily News. On the same day that America elected its first black president, “uber-tolerant” California thumbed “its collective nose at what some consider the newest civil-rights crusade,” gay marriage. What’s more, 7 in 10 African-American voters voted for the gay-marriage ban, putting them on the side that gay activists are accusing of “discrimination and bigotry.”
Many people bristle at the suggestion that African Americans and gays share a similar struggle, said Leonard Pitts Jr. in The Miami Herald. And it's true that their experiences aren’t equivalent, but “gay people, like black people, know what it's like to be left out, lied about, scapegoated, discriminated against, held up, beat down, denied a job, a loan or a life.” It’s hard to understand “how people who have known so much of oppression can turn around and oppress.”
So why are gay-marriage supporters protesting outside Mormon churches instead of African-American ones? asked Rod Dreher in BeliefNet. It’s because that would be a bad way to make the claim that your struggle is related to black Americans' fight for civil rights. Mormons supported the Proposition 8 ban too, and they are "white and middle class, therefore safe to attack.”
There’s something “deeply arrogant” about expecting African Americans to instantly jump on the “gay civil rights bus,” said Herndon L. Davis in Gay City News. There are religious and cultural reasons why so many blacks voted the way they did. And if gay activists really want to compare their fight to the black civil rights struggle, they should be more patient—it took blacks hundreds of years to go from slavery to the presidency.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week