Here are some of the best buys in tequila, vodka, gin, and whiskey for 2008, said F. Paul Pacult in Wine Enthusiast. This year’s roster of Best Value Spirits was judged on a 100-point tasting scale, with Classic (96–100) earning the highest recommendation, and Superb (90–95) highly recommended.
Hacienda Los Diaz Reposado 100 percent de Agave Tequila, Mexico ($40)
Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado 100 percent Agave Tequila, Mexico ($30)
Tanqueray No. 10 Batch Distilled Gin, England ($22)
Broker’s London Dry Gin, England ($21)
Absolut Pears Pear Flavored Vodka, Sweden ($19)
Pearl Blueberry Flavored Vodka, Canada ($20)
Revel Classic Vodka, Estonia ($13)
Mitchell’s Glengyle Blended Whisky ($49)
Glenlivet 12-Year-Old Speyside Single Malt Whisky ($37)
Strathisla 12-Year-Old Speyside Single Malt Whisky ($46)
Wemyss Vintage Malts The Smooth Gentleman 8-Year-Old Blended Malt Whisky ($37)
Black Bush Blended Irish Whiskey, Northern Ireland ($28)
The Knot 100 Proof Whiskey, Ireland ($24)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
Subscribe to the Week