ere are some of the best buys in tequila, vodka, gin, and whiskey for 2008, said F. Paul Pacult in Wine Enthusiast. This year’s roster of Best Value Spirits was judged on a 100-point tasting scale, with Classic (96–100) earning the highest recommendation, and Superb (90–95) highly recommended.
Hacienda Los Diaz Reposado 100 percent de Agave Tequila, Mexico ($40)
Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado 100 percent Agave Tequila, Mexico ($30)
Tanqueray No. 10 Batch Distilled Gin, England ($22)
Broker’s London Dry Gin, England ($21)
Absolut Pears Pear Flavored Vodka, Sweden ($19)
Pearl Blueberry Flavored Vodka, Canada ($20)
Revel Classic Vodka, Estonia ($13)
Mitchell’s Glengyle Blended Whisky ($49)
Glenlivet 12-Year-Old Speyside Single Malt Whisky ($37)
Strathisla 12-Year-Old Speyside Single Malt Whisky ($46)
Wemyss Vintage Malts The Smooth Gentleman 8-Year-Old Blended Malt Whisky ($37)
Black Bush Blended Irish Whiskey, Northern Ireland ($28)
The Knot 100 Proof Whiskey, Ireland ($24)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week