We have a new winner for the Best Bond Girl Ever, said MovieWeb.com. Ukranian-born model turned actress Olga Kurylenko “is definitely the best visual part” of the latest James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace—and she makes “all the other Bond Girls look ugly.”
There’s no doubt that Kurylenko is “an eye-catcher,” said Louis Parks in the Houston Chronicle online, but there’s more to being a great Bond Girl than looks. Her character, Camille, and Bond “are too intent on revenge to create any sparks,” so we’re going to have to rate her “low in the Bond Lady pantheon.”
“On paper,” said GQ online, “Kurylenko should have been a perfect Bond Girl: She's Russian, virtually unknown, and looks really good naked.” But screenwriter Paul Haggis created a “hackneyed backstory” for her character, and for some reason, she wears an “obviously fake tan” throughout Quantum of Solace. Maybe in better hands, Kurylenko could have taken the crown.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
Subscribe to the Week