e have a new winner for the Best Bond Girl Ever, said MovieWeb.com. Ukranian-born model turned actress Olga Kurylenko “is definitely the best visual part” of the latest James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace—and she makes “all the other Bond Girls look ugly.”
There’s no doubt that Kurylenko is “an eye-catcher,” said Louis Parks in the Houston Chronicle online, but there’s more to being a great Bond Girl than looks. Her character, Camille, and Bond “are too intent on revenge to create any sparks,” so we’re going to have to rate her “low in the Bond Lady pantheon.”
“On paper,” said GQ online, “Kurylenko should have been a perfect Bond Girl: She's Russian, virtually unknown, and looks really good naked.” But screenwriter Paul Haggis created a “hackneyed backstory” for her character, and for some reason, she wears an “obviously fake tan” throughout Quantum of Solace. Maybe in better hands, Kurylenko could have taken the crown.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The case for killing law school
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- Putin's risky bet in eastern Ukraine
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week