OOD DAY FOR: Pirates, after Somalian hijackers seized a massive Saudi Arabian supertanker, in the largest merchant ship heist in history. The oil-bearing supertanker, the Sirius Star, is larger than the Chrysler Building. Since January, Somalian pirates have attacked 88 vessels off the coast of Somalia, en route to the Suez Canal, and they are still holding 14 ships and 250 crew members hostage in Somalian waters. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Colombian pyramids, after the South American government declared a state of emergency to deal with collapsing investment schemes targeting mostly poor investors. Panic broke out in 12 states as the schemes started to unravel. “I knew there was a huge risk,” said investor Jesus Bravo, 56, who lost $5,000 in one company. “Who can really expect a 70% return?” (Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
Subscribe to the Week