OOD DAY FOR: Unfreezing assets, after the International Monetary Fund and four Nordic countries gave bankrupt Iceland a combined $4.6 billion in emergency loans. The IMF’s $2.1 billion and the $2.5 billion from Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Denmark will help Iceland recapitalize its banking sector and shore up its currency. Even with the bailout, Iceland’s economy is expected to contract at least 10 percent next year. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Alaska SUV owners, as the average price of U.S. gas fell to just over $2 a gallon Thursday, in its 64th consecutive daily decline. Gas is selling below $3 a gallon in every state but Alaska, and 23 states have sub-$2 gas, with Missouri the cheapest, at $1.72 a gallon. (CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week