ose Garces’ Thanksgiving menu reflects his personal background, said April White in Food & Wine. His family arrived in the U.S. from Ecuador in 1967, and he now oversees restaurants in Philadelphia and Chicago that serve Spanish and Mexican cuisine. This dish is layered with two favorite Spanish cheeses—nutty, aged Manchego and smoky San Simón.
3 heads garlic cloves separated, not peeled
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 quart half-and-half
1 tbsp chopped thyme
1 tsp chopped rosemary
Salt and freshly ground pepper
5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
9 oz aged Manchego cheese, coarsely shredded (2 cups)
5 oz San Simón or smoked Gouda cheese, shredded (1 cup)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In 9-inch cake pan, drizzle garlic with oil. Cover with foil and roast for 40 minutes, until tender. Let cool, then squeeze out cloves. Mash garlic to a paste and transfer to saucepan. Add half-and-half, thyme, and rosemary and bring to boil. Simmer over very low heat until reduced to 3 cups, 20 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Arrange one-fourth of potatoes in bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with one-fourth of shredded cheeses and drizzle lightly with the garlic cream. Repeat layering with remaining potatoes, cheese, and cream. Pour any remaining cream on top and press top layer of potatoes to submerge it. Bake gratin for about 1-1/2 hours, until golden and bubbling. Let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Serves 12.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week