30-year-old woman who committed suicide outside Paula Abdul’s Los Angeles home last week was an obsessed fan who had been humiliated by the judges when she appeared on American Idol in 2005. Paula Goodspeed, who had a history of psychiatric problems, gave an off-key performance of “Proud Mary” that the judges panned, with Simon Cowell mocking her braces and Abdul saying she was “speechless—that’s not a good thing.” Abdul this week said she was “shocked and saddened” by Goodspeed’s apparent overdose.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week