A 30-year-old woman who committed suicide outside Paula Abdul’s Los Angeles home last week was an obsessed fan who had been humiliated by the judges when she appeared on American Idol in 2005. Paula Goodspeed, who had a history of psychiatric problems, gave an off-key performance of “Proud Mary” that the judges panned, with Simon Cowell mocking her braces and Abdul saying she was “speechless—that’s not a good thing.” Abdul this week said she was “shocked and saddened” by Goodspeed’s apparent overdose.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week