Comedian Wanda Sykes, who stars on Curb Your Enthusiasm and The New Adventures of Old Christine, made a surprise appearance at a gay-rights rally in Las Vegas last week, announcing that she is a lesbian and had gotten married in California before the passage of Proposition 8, the same-sex marriage ban. “I don’t really talk about my sexual orientation,” Sykes told the crowd. “I didn’t feel like I had to. I was just living my life. Now I gotta get in their face. I’m proud to be gay.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week