Comedian Wanda Sykes, who stars on Curb Your Enthusiasm and The New Adventures of Old Christine, made a surprise appearance at a gay-rights rally in Las Vegas last week, announcing that she is a lesbian and had gotten married in California before the passage of Proposition 8, the same-sex marriage ban. “I don’t really talk about my sexual orientation,” Sykes told the crowd. “I didn’t feel like I had to. I was just living my life. Now I gotta get in their face. I’m proud to be gay.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Rise of the machines
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week