omedian Wanda Sykes, who stars on Curb Your Enthusiasm and The New Adventures of Old Christine, made a surprise appearance at a gay-rights rally in Las Vegas last week, announcing that she is a lesbian and had gotten married in California before the passage of Proposition 8, the same-sex marriage ban. “I don’t really talk about my sexual orientation,” Sykes told the crowd. “I didn’t feel like I had to. I was just living my life. Now I gotta get in their face. I’m proud to be gay.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week