Comedian Wanda Sykes, who stars on Curb Your Enthusiasm and The New Adventures of Old Christine, made a surprise appearance at a gay-rights rally in Las Vegas last week, announcing that she is a lesbian and had gotten married in California before the passage of Proposition 8, the same-sex marriage ban. “I don’t really talk about my sexual orientation,” Sykes told the crowd. “I didn’t feel like I had to. I was just living my life. Now I gotta get in their face. I’m proud to be gay.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Surviving a plane crash
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Ted Cruz and the most cynical, despicable political stunt of the year
Subscribe to the Week