The Sopranos: The Complete Series
“What’s not to love?” said USA Today. Every episode of HBO’s mafia drama can be found on this 33-disc collection. Extras include soundtracks, cast roundtables, lost scenes, and “Sopranos-themed spoofs” from The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, and MADtv.
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Director Guillermo Del Toro is the “real star of this movie,” said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. Although the troubles of his dark, confused superhero are entertaining, the film “is best appreciated for its art direction and impressive special effects.”
This “fascinating documentary” celebrates one of New York’s most famous bars, said the Chicago Sun-Times. A nightly stop for Marilyn Monroe and Frank Sinatra in the ’50s, Toots Shor’s 51 West 51 “wasn’t the center of the universe, but felt like it after a few drinks.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Cuba should beware of Westerners bearing gifts
Subscribe to the Week