he Sopranos: The Complete Series
“What’s not to love?” said USA Today. Every episode of HBO’s mafia drama can be found on this 33-disc collection. Extras include soundtracks, cast roundtables, lost scenes, and “Sopranos-themed spoofs” from The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, and MADtv.
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Director Guillermo Del Toro is the “real star of this movie,” said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. Although the troubles of his dark, confused superhero are entertaining, the film “is best appreciated for its art direction and impressive special effects.”
This “fascinating documentary” celebrates one of New York’s most famous bars, said the Chicago Sun-Times. A nightly stop for Marilyn Monroe and Frank Sinatra in the ’50s, Toots Shor’s 51 West 51 “wasn’t the center of the universe, but felt like it after a few drinks.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
Subscribe to the Week