This hand-held charger captures wind energy and transfers up to 5 volts to any device you can plug in to one of its five adapters. The blades glow green when the lithium battery is charging.
Price: $50 Contact: Hymini.net
Companion C1 radio
A combination radio, LED flashlight, and phone charger, the Companion C1 can be charged by hand crank or built-in solar panels. Price: $34.99 Contact: Earthtechproducts.com
This home recycling center compresses cans and plastic bottles, à la Wall-E. Flattened containers—the Ecopod holds up to 60—can then be removed for curbside collection.
Price: $328 Contact: Ecopod.org
Even when shut down, computers can continue to suck costly electricity from outlets. This surge protector automatically shuts off the current to whatever electronics aren’t being used.
Price: $39.95 Contact: Smarthomeusa.com
Source: New York
Logan messenger bag
This stylish bag sports vegetable-tanned leather and an organic-cotton lining. It also has a flexible solar panel, so you can charge electronics on the go.
Price: $452 Contact: Noonsolar.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- How to flirt, according to science
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- Everything you need to know about the Venezuelan protests
Subscribe to the Week