“The world’s first Web-enabled surveillance robot,” the three-wheeled Rovio can be used to patrol the house while you’re out, monitor elderly parents, or simply to freak out co-workers around the office. Steered manually via Wi-Fi or programmed to follow a route, it takes photos, streams video, and can broadcast your voice via voice-over-Internet technology.
Price: $300 Contact: Wowwee.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
When Americans banned Christmas
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
Subscribe to the Week