OOD DAY FOR: Christmases surprise, after the Vince Vaughn–Reese Witherspoon movie “Four Christmases” unexpectedly topped the Thanksgiving weekend domestic box office, bringing in $46.7 million over five days. Only two other movies—“Toy Story 2” and “Enchanted”—have done better Thanksgiving weekend. In all, U.S. theaters hauled in $236 million, the second-highest earnings for Thanksgiving weekend, after 2000. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Holding Trump cards, after The Donald’s Trump Entertainment Resorts will miss a $53.1 million interest payment Monday. The company says it has a 30-day grace period to pay up. Trump was removed from operational oversight of the company years ago, after his casinos’ second bankruptcy. Deutsche Bank is also suing Trump to recoup a $40 million personal guarantee for his separate Trump International Hotel & Tower. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week