GOOD DAY FOR: Christmases surprise, after the Vince Vaughn–Reese Witherspoon movie “Four Christmases” unexpectedly topped the Thanksgiving weekend domestic box office, bringing in $46.7 million over five days. Only two other movies—“Toy Story 2” and “Enchanted”—have done better Thanksgiving weekend. In all, U.S. theaters hauled in $236 million, the second-highest earnings for Thanksgiving weekend, after 2000. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Holding Trump cards, after The Donald’s Trump Entertainment Resorts will miss a $53.1 million interest payment Monday. The company says it has a 30-day grace period to pay up. Trump was removed from operational oversight of the company years ago, after his casinos’ second bankruptcy. Deutsche Bank is also suing Trump to recoup a $40 million personal guarantee for his separate Trump International Hotel & Tower. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week