GOOD DAY FOR: Christmases surprise, after the Vince Vaughn–Reese Witherspoon movie “Four Christmases” unexpectedly topped the Thanksgiving weekend domestic box office, bringing in $46.7 million over five days. Only two other movies—“Toy Story 2” and “Enchanted”—have done better Thanksgiving weekend. In all, U.S. theaters hauled in $236 million, the second-highest earnings for Thanksgiving weekend, after 2000. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Holding Trump cards, after The Donald’s Trump Entertainment Resorts will miss a $53.1 million interest payment Monday. The company says it has a 30-day grace period to pay up. Trump was removed from operational oversight of the company years ago, after his casinos’ second bankruptcy. Deutsche Bank is also suing Trump to recoup a $40 million personal guarantee for his separate Trump International Hotel & Tower. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week