OOD DAY FOR: Cheap thrills, as a British charity found that U.K. residents were dealing with the credit crunch by enjoying low-cost or free activities, the most popular being sex. In Scotland, 43 percent of respondents listed sex as their top free activity, beating out window shopping and museums; 35 percent in South England put sex in the top slot. By gender, though, women listed gossiping as their favorite cheap activity. (BBC News)
BAD DAY FOR: Viking empire, after Iceland’s economic collapse has sent droves of Icelanders back to Norway, where their Viking ancestors originated 1,200 years ago. About half of the nation’s 18-to-24-year-olds are thinking about leaving to find work, according to a recent survey. “Iceland is more or less in a state of coma,” said Sigrun Thormar, a consultant for Icelanders moving eastward. (Bloomberg)
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The last racial taboo
- Was the sign-language interpreter at the Mandela memorial faking it?
Subscribe to the Week