OOD DAY FOR: Cheap thrills, as a British charity found that U.K. residents were dealing with the credit crunch by enjoying low-cost or free activities, the most popular being sex. In Scotland, 43 percent of respondents listed sex as their top free activity, beating out window shopping and museums; 35 percent in South England put sex in the top slot. By gender, though, women listed gossiping as their favorite cheap activity. (BBC News)
BAD DAY FOR: Viking empire, after Iceland’s economic collapse has sent droves of Icelanders back to Norway, where their Viking ancestors originated 1,200 years ago. About half of the nation’s 18-to-24-year-olds are thinking about leaving to find work, according to a recent survey. “Iceland is more or less in a state of coma,” said Sigrun Thormar, a consultant for Icelanders moving eastward. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week