ood day for: Fighting back, when 49-year-old Randy Goodman was attacked by the 240-pound buck he thought he had killed with two well-placed gunshots. The deer was initially down, but then jumped up and charged Goodman in what the hunter described as “15 seconds of hell.” Goodman received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises; the buck didn’t make it.
Bad day for: Vanity, when a 20-year-old woman in Port St. Lucie, Fla. had her wig snatched from her head by an ex-boyfriend, who then made his getaway on a bicycle. The woman contacted authorities, but could not recall the last name of the perpetrator, whom she had lived with for eight months.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The end of academic freedom?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- America: Don't lose your cool over Russia's Crimean adventure
Subscribe to the Week