Good day for: Fighting back, when 49-year-old Randy Goodman was attacked by the 240-pound buck he thought he had killed with two well-placed gunshots. The deer was initially down, but then jumped up and charged Goodman in what the hunter described as “15 seconds of hell.” Goodman received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises; the buck didn’t make it.
Bad day for: Vanity, when a 20-year-old woman in Port St. Lucie, Fla. had her wig snatched from her head by an ex-boyfriend, who then made his getaway on a bicycle. The woman contacted authorities, but could not recall the last name of the perpetrator, whom she had lived with for eight months.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week