Good day for: Fighting back, when 49-year-old Randy Goodman was attacked by the 240-pound buck he thought he had killed with two well-placed gunshots. The deer was initially down, but then jumped up and charged Goodman in what the hunter described as “15 seconds of hell.” Goodman received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises; the buck didn’t make it.
Bad day for: Vanity, when a 20-year-old woman in Port St. Lucie, Fla. had her wig snatched from her head by an ex-boyfriend, who then made his getaway on a bicycle. The woman contacted authorities, but could not recall the last name of the perpetrator, whom she had lived with for eight months.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week