Good day for: Fighting back, when 49-year-old Randy Goodman was attacked by the 240-pound buck he thought he had killed with two well-placed gunshots. The deer was initially down, but then jumped up and charged Goodman in what the hunter described as “15 seconds of hell.” Goodman received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises; the buck didn’t make it.
Bad day for: Vanity, when a 20-year-old woman in Port St. Lucie, Fla. had her wig snatched from her head by an ex-boyfriend, who then made his getaway on a bicycle. The woman contacted authorities, but could not recall the last name of the perpetrator, whom she had lived with for eight months.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
Subscribe to the Week