Good day for: Fighting back, when 49-year-old Randy Goodman was attacked by the 240-pound buck he thought he had killed with two well-placed gunshots. The deer was initially down, but then jumped up and charged Goodman in what the hunter described as “15 seconds of hell.” Goodman received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises; the buck didn’t make it.
Bad day for: Vanity, when a 20-year-old woman in Port St. Lucie, Fla. had her wig snatched from her head by an ex-boyfriend, who then made his getaway on a bicycle. The woman contacted authorities, but could not recall the last name of the perpetrator, whom she had lived with for eight months.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week