Good day for: Trusting caller ID, after Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) got a call from President-elect Barack Obama on Wednesday and hung up on him, saying she thought the call was a prank. When Chief-of-Staff-designate Rahm Emanuel called to tell her Obama really wanted to talk to her, she hung up again. (The Washington Post) After another congressional colleague intervened, Ros-Lehtinen took Obama’s third call. (Politico)
Bad day for: Getting the joke, after Kanye West took comedian Stephen Colbert’s challenge to an album sales duel seriously. After Colbert urged fans to buy “A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All” on iTunes to humble West, the rapper posted a message on his Twitter account, saying, “Who the [bleep] is Stephen Colbert?” West’s 808s & Heartbreak outsold Colbert—but Britney Spears beat them both. (Chicago Tribune)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week