Good day for: Trusting caller ID, after Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) got a call from President-elect Barack Obama on Wednesday and hung up on him, saying she thought the call was a prank. When Chief-of-Staff-designate Rahm Emanuel called to tell her Obama really wanted to talk to her, she hung up again. (The Washington Post) After another congressional colleague intervened, Ros-Lehtinen took Obama’s third call. (Politico)
Bad day for: Getting the joke, after Kanye West took comedian Stephen Colbert’s challenge to an album sales duel seriously. After Colbert urged fans to buy “A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All” on iTunes to humble West, the rapper posted a message on his Twitter account, saying, “Who the [bleep] is Stephen Colbert?” West’s 808s & Heartbreak outsold Colbert—but Britney Spears beat them both. (Chicago Tribune)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week