Good day for: Trusting caller ID, after Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) got a call from President-elect Barack Obama on Wednesday and hung up on him, saying she thought the call was a prank. When Chief-of-Staff-designate Rahm Emanuel called to tell her Obama really wanted to talk to her, she hung up again. (The Washington Post) After another congressional colleague intervened, Ros-Lehtinen took Obama’s third call. (Politico)
Bad day for: Getting the joke, after Kanye West took comedian Stephen Colbert’s challenge to an album sales duel seriously. After Colbert urged fans to buy “A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All” on iTunes to humble West, the rapper posted a message on his Twitter account, saying, “Who the [bleep] is Stephen Colbert?” West’s 808s & Heartbreak outsold Colbert—but Britney Spears beat them both. (Chicago Tribune)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- California's epic drought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week