ood day for: Trusting caller ID, after Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) got a call from President-elect Barack Obama on Wednesday and hung up on him, saying she thought the call was a prank. When Chief-of-Staff-designate Rahm Emanuel called to tell her Obama really wanted to talk to her, she hung up again. (The Washington Post) After another congressional colleague intervened, Ros-Lehtinen took Obama’s third call. (Politico)
Bad day for: Getting the joke, after Kanye West took comedian Stephen Colbert’s challenge to an album sales duel seriously. After Colbert urged fans to buy “A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All” on iTunes to humble West, the rapper posted a message on his Twitter account, saying, “Who the [bleep] is Stephen Colbert?” West’s 808s & Heartbreak outsold Colbert—but Britney Spears beat them both. (Chicago Tribune)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week