Good day for: Trusting caller ID, after Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) got a call from President-elect Barack Obama on Wednesday and hung up on him, saying she thought the call was a prank. When Chief-of-Staff-designate Rahm Emanuel called to tell her Obama really wanted to talk to her, she hung up again. (The Washington Post) After another congressional colleague intervened, Ros-Lehtinen took Obama’s third call. (Politico)
Bad day for: Getting the joke, after Kanye West took comedian Stephen Colbert’s challenge to an album sales duel seriously. After Colbert urged fans to buy “A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All” on iTunes to humble West, the rapper posted a message on his Twitter account, saying, “Who the [bleep] is Stephen Colbert?” West’s 808s & Heartbreak outsold Colbert—but Britney Spears beat them both. (Chicago Tribune)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to stop Black Thursday — and still score that big screen
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- How to deep fry a turkey
Subscribe to the Week