Spanish police last week launched an investigation into the disappearance of $125,000 worth of diamond jewelry last seen in the possession of Winona Ryder. The actress, who was convicted of shoplifting in 2001, borrowed the Bulgari bracelet and ring to wear to a party, and later reported them missing, saying she had given them to the staff at her Madrid hotel for safekeeping. Hotel executives said they combed surveillance tapes and found no footage of Ryder handing over the jewels.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week