Spanish police last week launched an investigation into the disappearance of $125,000 worth of diamond jewelry last seen in the possession of Winona Ryder. The actress, who was convicted of shoplifting in 2001, borrowed the Bulgari bracelet and ring to wear to a party, and later reported them missing, saying she had given them to the staff at her Madrid hotel for safekeeping. Hotel executives said they combed surveillance tapes and found no footage of Ryder handing over the jewels.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week