Spanish police last week launched an investigation into the disappearance of $125,000 worth of diamond jewelry last seen in the possession of Winona Ryder. The actress, who was convicted of shoplifting in 2001, borrowed the Bulgari bracelet and ring to wear to a party, and later reported them missing, saying she had given them to the staff at her Madrid hotel for safekeeping. Hotel executives said they combed surveillance tapes and found no footage of Ryder handing over the jewels.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 10 self-sabotaging interview mistakes to avoid
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week