Spanish police last week launched an investigation into the disappearance of $125,000 worth of diamond jewelry last seen in the possession of Winona Ryder. The actress, who was convicted of shoplifting in 2001, borrowed the Bulgari bracelet and ring to wear to a party, and later reported them missing, saying she had given them to the staff at her Madrid hotel for safekeeping. Hotel executives said they combed surveillance tapes and found no footage of Ryder handing over the jewels.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week