Steakhouses used to all have the same menus, said Dennis Ray Wheaton in Chicago. Shrimp cocktail, wedge salad, and your choice of a filet mignon, porterhouse, T-bone, or New York strip. But in recent years, “New American” steakhouses have been “popping up from top chefs all over the country,” with glam interiors, creative extras, and more choices. In Chicago the rib eye and the bone-in Kansas City strip, “with their superior flavor, are king.” Here are five of the city’s best steakhouses:
David Burke’s Primehouse
Only 2 years old, this steakhouse has gained attention for its Himalayan-salt-tiled cellar and an aging process that “eclipses some military campaigns in length.” The magnificent 20-ounce bone-in rib-eye, aged 55 days, “is the best dry-aged steak in Chicago.” The James Chicago Hotel, 616 N. Rush St., (312) 660-6000
This handsome, 103-year-old landmark still has original fire poles. The prime beef is “exquisitely grilled and garnished with puffy onion rings.” Both the boneless rib eye and the 22-ounce, wet-aged porterhouse are “terrific.” 1401 S. Michigan Ave., (312) 786-1401
Gene & Georgetti
Steaks are aged in a vacuum-sealed bag for 28 days, then escorted to a 1,100-degree Vulcan broiler. Served unseasoned, these “magnificent” cuts have a “serious crust.” 500 N. Franklin St., (312) 527-3718
The Chicago Chop House
The New York strip still reigns supreme in this century-old brownstone—“no seasoning, light char, just a little jus.” The jumbo shrimp cocktail is among the city’s best. Service is superb, and walls are plastered with photos of major capitalists and Mafiosi. 60 W. Ontario St., (312) 787-7100
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
Subscribe to the Week