Lower gas prices, higher profits
Gas stations are actually making an average of 5 cents per gallon more in profit than they were when gas prices topped $4 a gallon. Retail gas prices have fallen 55 percent since July, but oil prices have plunged even further and gas stations are pocketing the difference.
7,000 jobs for 300,000 applicants
Nearly 300,000 people have applied for the approximately 7,000 available jobs in the Obama administration.
New York Daily News
Renting a dorm room for the inauguration
With hotels in Washington, D.C., rapidly filling to capacity for Barack Obama’s Jan. 20 inauguration, area college students have been renting out their dorm rooms for anywhere from $500 to $1,800 a night for the weekend. Colleges have rules against this sort of thing, but they are difficult to enforce.
World record for holding breath underwater
Tom Sietas, a 31-year-old German man, holds the world record for holding his breath underwater—an astounding 10 minutes, 12 seconds. Doctors once believed breath-holding for more than four minutes would lead to brain damage.
The Washington Post
TV watching at an all-time high
Television watching has hit an all-time high, with the average American watching 142 hours of television monthly, up 4 percent over last year, according to the Nielsen survey. The average home now gets 119 channels.
The Hollywood Reporter
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week