By 2050, experts predict that 75 percent of humans will live in megacities like the polluted, overcrowded mess imagined in this lively, provocative six-part series—Ecopolis, population 18 million and rising. In the first five episodes, climate scientist Daniel Kammen chooses possible solutions to Ecopolis’ manifold challenges, such as food and water production, waste management, and energy efficiency. The Center of Alternative Technology then calculates how his choice would affect the city’s carbon footprint, and in the final episode, the five chosen ideas are ranked in order of urgency. Monday, Dec. 8, at 9 p.m., Science Channel
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week