By 2050, experts predict that 75 percent of humans will live in megacities like the polluted, overcrowded mess imagined in this lively, provocative six-part series—Ecopolis, population 18 million and rising. In the first five episodes, climate scientist Daniel Kammen chooses possible solutions to Ecopolis’ manifold challenges, such as food and water production, waste management, and energy efficiency. The Center of Alternative Technology then calculates how his choice would affect the city’s carbon footprint, and in the final episode, the five chosen ideas are ranked in order of urgency. Monday, Dec. 8, at 9 p.m., Science Channel
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
Subscribe to the Week