By 2050, experts predict that 75 percent of humans will live in megacities like the polluted, overcrowded mess imagined in this lively, provocative six-part series—Ecopolis, population 18 million and rising. In the first five episodes, climate scientist Daniel Kammen chooses possible solutions to Ecopolis’ manifold challenges, such as food and water production, waste management, and energy efficiency. The Center of Alternative Technology then calculates how his choice would affect the city’s carbon footprint, and in the final episode, the five chosen ideas are ranked in order of urgency. Monday, Dec. 8, at 9 p.m., Science Channel
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week