By 2050, experts predict that 75 percent of humans will live in megacities like the polluted, overcrowded mess imagined in this lively, provocative six-part series—Ecopolis, population 18 million and rising. In the first five episodes, climate scientist Daniel Kammen chooses possible solutions to Ecopolis’ manifold challenges, such as food and water production, waste management, and energy efficiency. The Center of Alternative Technology then calculates how his choice would affect the city’s carbon footprint, and in the final episode, the five chosen ideas are ranked in order of urgency. Monday, Dec. 8, at 9 p.m., Science Channel
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week