By 2050, experts predict that 75 percent of humans will live in megacities like the polluted, overcrowded mess imagined in this lively, provocative six-part series—Ecopolis, population 18 million and rising. In the first five episodes, climate scientist Daniel Kammen chooses possible solutions to Ecopolis’ manifold challenges, such as food and water production, waste management, and energy efficiency. The Center of Alternative Technology then calculates how his choice would affect the city’s carbon footprint, and in the final episode, the five chosen ideas are ranked in order of urgency. Monday, Dec. 8, at 9 p.m., Science Channel
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Summer movie guide: All the films you should see in August
Subscribe to the Week