onday, Dec. 8
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
Brad Pitt stars in this brooding version of the legendary outlaw’s saga. But it was Casey Affleck who drew an Oscar nomination as his killer.
9 p.m., HBO
Lust for Life (1956)
Kirk Douglas was Oscar-nominated for his intense portrayal of Vincent van Gogh in director Vincente Minnelli’s biopic. Anthony Quinn plays Paul Gauguin. 3:45 p.m., TCM
This historical comedy-drama cleverly speculates about what the French playwright (played by Romain Duris) was up to during several unaccounted-for weeks in his youth. 12:30 p.m., Starz
Strictly Ballroom (1992)
Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) made his directorial debut with this exuberant comedy-romance set during a Pan-Pacific ballroom-dancing competition. 3:05 p.m., IFC
The Beguiled (1971)
Dirty Harry’s star, Clint Eastwood, and its director, Don Siegel, changed pace for this gothic Western about a wounded Civil War soldier who takes refuge in a girls’ school. 7 p.m., Sundance
Johnny Eager (1942)
In one of his best roles, Robert Taylor plays a racketeer whose cynical heart softens for a society girl (Lana Turner). Van Heflin won an Oscar as his alcohol-soaked lieutenant. Midnight, TCM
With the help of a clumsy restaurant scullion, a Parisian rat aspires to become a chef in this superior family comedy from Pixar. 7:05 p.m., Starz
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
Subscribe to the Week