Good day for: Checking your math, after a retired New York City man, Simon Belsky, spent $7,500 fighting a $115 parking ticket. Belsky said he had “nothing else to do.” He’s due back in court Feb. 2, and if he wins he plans to ask to be reimbursed for his legal expenses. (AP in MSNBC)
Bad day for: Holiday harmony, after a North Carolina school’s administrators decided to include Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in a kindergarten concert, after briefly pulling the song. A parent complained that the song’s references to Santa and Christmas gave it a religious theme, but the New Hanover County school’s lawyers said the song was clearly secular because it’s about a make-believe reindeer. (Wilmington Star-News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How science can help you survive scary movies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week