ood day for: Checking your math, after a retired New York City man, Simon Belsky, spent $7,500 fighting a $115 parking ticket. Belsky said he had “nothing else to do.” He’s due back in court Feb. 2, and if he wins he plans to ask to be reimbursed for his legal expenses. (AP in MSNBC)
Bad day for: Holiday harmony, after a North Carolina school’s administrators decided to include Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in a kindergarten concert, after briefly pulling the song. A parent complained that the song’s references to Santa and Christmas gave it a religious theme, but the New Hanover County school’s lawyers said the song was clearly secular because it’s about a make-believe reindeer. (Wilmington Star-News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week