Good day for: Checking your math, after a retired New York City man, Simon Belsky, spent $7,500 fighting a $115 parking ticket. Belsky said he had “nothing else to do.” He’s due back in court Feb. 2, and if he wins he plans to ask to be reimbursed for his legal expenses. (AP in MSNBC)
Bad day for: Holiday harmony, after a North Carolina school’s administrators decided to include Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in a kindergarten concert, after briefly pulling the song. A parent complained that the song’s references to Santa and Christmas gave it a religious theme, but the New Hanover County school’s lawyers said the song was clearly secular because it’s about a make-believe reindeer. (Wilmington Star-News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
Subscribe to the Week