Good day for: Checking your math, after a retired New York City man, Simon Belsky, spent $7,500 fighting a $115 parking ticket. Belsky said he had “nothing else to do.” He’s due back in court Feb. 2, and if he wins he plans to ask to be reimbursed for his legal expenses. (AP in MSNBC)
Bad day for: Holiday harmony, after a North Carolina school’s administrators decided to include Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in a kindergarten concert, after briefly pulling the song. A parent complained that the song’s references to Santa and Christmas gave it a religious theme, but the New Hanover County school’s lawyers said the song was clearly secular because it’s about a make-believe reindeer. (Wilmington Star-News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Surviving a plane crash
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
Subscribe to the Week