Good day for: Checking your math, after a retired New York City man, Simon Belsky, spent $7,500 fighting a $115 parking ticket. Belsky said he had “nothing else to do.” He’s due back in court Feb. 2, and if he wins he plans to ask to be reimbursed for his legal expenses. (AP in MSNBC)
Bad day for: Holiday harmony, after a North Carolina school’s administrators decided to include Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in a kindergarten concert, after briefly pulling the song. A parent complained that the song’s references to Santa and Christmas gave it a religious theme, but the New Hanover County school’s lawyers said the song was clearly secular because it’s about a make-believe reindeer. (Wilmington Star-News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- The mechanized future of warfare
Subscribe to the Week