What a fitting final twist for a fairy tale, said Ruth Marcus in The Washington Post. Caroline Kennedy has reportedly asked New York Gov. David Paterson to consider her when he chooses a replacement for Sen. Hillary Clinton, who will soon move on to become secretary of State. Wouldn't it be fitting if the princess of John F. Kennedy's Camelot, who abandoned her "above-it-all detachment" to give Barack Obama "the benediction of the Kennedy legacy," grew up to be a senator?
If “star power” is the main qualification, said Jon-Christopher Bua in Sky News online, Kennedy has to be the frontrunner for the job. The daughter of slain president John F. Kennedy was a high-profile Obama supporter. And New Yorkers would certainly be well-served with another member of “America’s most beloved political dynasty” representing them in Washington.
Thanks, but no thanks, said Jane Hamsher in Firedoglake. Kennedy was “nowhere to be found” over the past eight years when progressives were “getting the stuffing beaten out of us by a very well-financed right wing.” Now that Democrats are in power, she wants to come in at the top without ever having run for office in her life? “It’s a truly terrible idea.”
Maybe, but it’s a great story, said Chris Rovzar in New York magazine online. “Except it’s just not that likely to happen!” The New York Post reports that Paterson is leaning heavily toward others in a long list of qualified and experienced candidates, and the New York Daily News says “Caroline herself isn’t even that into it—it’s her family that is pushing her.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
Subscribe to the Week