Bill Murray has had “several out-of-place encounters” with “New York City hipsters” over the past few months, said Sarah Horne in the New York Post, “from hanging out with rock bands to hitting on twentysomething women at bars.” Recently divorced from his wife of 11 years, the 58-year-old comedic actor “seems to be perpetually stuck in his own version of Groundhog Day meets Lost in Translation—involuntarily repeating that excruciating yet endearing party scene, trawling for serendipity in the New York night.”
Give me a break, said Daniel Maurer in New York magazine. The New York Post also “preposterously describes Murray as a ‘ghost’” in the night—“hilarious! A celebrity gets a drink at two places that aren’t the Beatrice and suddenly he’s Frances Farmer.”
This is just Bill Murray being Bill Murray, said John Del Signore in Gothamist. “He's rich, famous, single, perennially hip—and how cool is it that he's wandering among the little people instead of staying sequestered behind the velvet rope like his peers?” Murray can “crash our office party” any time.
“Murray's eccentricity and flirtatious ways have always seemed to be part of his charm,” said Irina Aleksander in The New York Observer. But let’s not forget that Mrs. Butler Murray filed for divorce “on the grounds of ‘adultery, addiction to marijuana and alcohol, abusive behavior, physical abuse, sexual addictions, and frequent abandonment’”—there may be a much darker side to this whole story.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week