Good week for:
Female football fans, after Fox Sports went live to the Minnesota Vikings’ locker room and treated viewers to a full-frontal shot of naked tight end Visanthe Shiancoe. Shiancoe said teammates are now calling him the “Equipment Manager.”
Chutzpah, after Blake Fielder-Civil reportedly demanded a
$1.5 million divorce settlement from British singer Amy Winehouse, threatening to write a tell-all book about their relationship if she refused. Last week, Fielder-Civil admitted that he introduced Winehouse to heroin and crack.
Staying busy in retirement, after Rajo Devi of India became a mother for the first time at age 70. Her doctor says she is the oldest person yet to give birth after in vitro fertilization.
Bad week for:
The Christmas spirit, after a prankster dropped a fake $100 bill into a Salvation Army kettle. “Whenever we receive $100 bills there’s a big woo-hoo among staff,” said Paul Egan of the Greensboro, N.C., Salvation Army. “That high feeling fell fast.”
Environmental outrage, after a furious “green” group notified Polish authorities that a rapacious logging company was cutting down trees in a nature preserve. Investigators determined that the 20 trees in question had been felled by beavers.
Sales of Foster’s, after New South Wales, Australia, considered a law that would require politicians to pass a breath test before voting on legislation. Recently, one apparently inebriated state lawmaker pushed a female colleague during a debate, and another was seen dancing in his underwear at an office party, shortly after helping to craft the state budget.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Ismail Kadare's 6 favorite books
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
Subscribe to the Week