Collie becomes frozen to sidewalk
An elderly dog is recovering after a night spent frozen to a Wisconsin sidewalk. Carey Payne, manager of a Humane Society shelter, says that Jiffy, 12, an overweight male border collie, was left outside in single-digit temperatures, and in the morning the dog’s belly and hindquarters were stuck to the sidewalk. “The layers of fat he had probably saved the dog’s life,” Payne said. She revived the dog by pouring “some warm water over his back end.”
Courtney Love's new sound
Courtney Love has stopped taking antidepressants so the album she’s recording will have an angrier sound. The 44-year-old musician says she misses the medication, but for the moment “my album producer wants me to feel the rage, wants me to be really angry and face the demons.” So far, says Love, the plan is working. “I’m not going to punch anybody,” says Love, “but I am so f---ing angry.”
Reassembling shredded money
A British garbageman who found about $15,000 in shredded banknotes in a bin may exchange the shreds for actual money, say bank officials, if he can tape the notes back together. A Bank of England spokeswoman said that garbageman Graham Hill could receive full value for any reassembled notes that meet the bank’s “evidence requirements,” including the presence of two intact serial numbers. Hill’s co-workers say they are rooting for him to tape enough notes back together “to get a round of drinks” at the sanitation department Christmas party.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
Subscribe to the Week