Collie becomes frozen to sidewalk
An elderly dog is recovering after a night spent frozen to a Wisconsin sidewalk. Carey Payne, manager of a Humane Society shelter, says that Jiffy, 12, an overweight male border collie, was left outside in single-digit temperatures, and in the morning the dog’s belly and hindquarters were stuck to the sidewalk. “The layers of fat he had probably saved the dog’s life,” Payne said. She revived the dog by pouring “some warm water over his back end.”
Courtney Love's new sound
Courtney Love has stopped taking antidepressants so the album she’s recording will have an angrier sound. The 44-year-old musician says she misses the medication, but for the moment “my album producer wants me to feel the rage, wants me to be really angry and face the demons.” So far, says Love, the plan is working. “I’m not going to punch anybody,” says Love, “but I am so f---ing angry.”
Reassembling shredded money
A British garbageman who found about $15,000 in shredded banknotes in a bin may exchange the shreds for actual money, say bank officials, if he can tape the notes back together. A Bank of England spokeswoman said that garbageman Graham Hill could receive full value for any reassembled notes that meet the bank’s “evidence requirements,” including the presence of two intact serial numbers. Hill’s co-workers say they are rooting for him to tape enough notes back together “to get a round of drinks” at the sanitation department Christmas party.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
Subscribe to the Week