31% of Americans say that the recession has forced them to cut back on necessities such as food and medicine, while 38% say they have cut their heating and electric bills. 67% say they plan to spend less on Christmas and Hanukkah gifts this year.
55% of Cuban-Americans now favor ending the 46-year-old U.S. embargo on trade and travel with Communist Cuba. That’s the first time a majority of Cuban-Americans has held this view.
Florida International University
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week