Obama's staff picks: 14 down, 10 to go
Barack Obama has named 14 of the 24 Cabinet and top staff members in his administration. At this point in their transitions, Bill Clinton had filled only one position and Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan only two.
The New York Times
Deaths in Mexican drug war higher than U.S. fatalities in Iraq
Some 6,285 Mexicans have died in drug-related violence since early 2007, when Mexican President Felipe Calderón declared war on drug traffickers. That’s more than the number of U.S. fatalities in the Iraq war.
Los Angeles Times
Predator drones planed for Canada-U.S. border
Predator drones, which have played a major role in targeting terrorists in Pakistan’s tribal regions, will be deployed along the vast, largely open Canada-U.S. border starting in January.
D.C. Council passes special booze law for inauguration
With millions of people expected for Barack Obama’s inauguration on Jan. 20, the D.C. City Council has passed emergency legislation that will allow restaurants, bars, and nightclubs to serve alcohol until 5 a.m.—three hours later than usual—from Jan. 17 to Jan. 21.
The Washington Post
Males are harder hit by the recession than females
Some 1.1 million fewer men are working in the U.S. than a year ago, while the number of women working has increased by 12,000. The industries that men dominate, such as investment, construction, and manufacturing, are particularly hard hit by the recession.
The Boston Globe
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to make corn dogs
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
Subscribe to the Week