Obama's staff picks: 14 down, 10 to go
Barack Obama has named 14 of the 24 Cabinet and top staff members in his administration. At this point in their transitions, Bill Clinton had filled only one position and Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan only two.
The New York Times
Deaths in Mexican drug war higher than U.S. fatalities in Iraq
Some 6,285 Mexicans have died in drug-related violence since early 2007, when Mexican President Felipe Calderón declared war on drug traffickers. That’s more than the number of U.S. fatalities in the Iraq war.
Los Angeles Times
Predator drones planed for Canada-U.S. border
Predator drones, which have played a major role in targeting terrorists in Pakistan’s tribal regions, will be deployed along the vast, largely open Canada-U.S. border starting in January.
D.C. Council passes special booze law for inauguration
With millions of people expected for Barack Obama’s inauguration on Jan. 20, the D.C. City Council has passed emergency legislation that will allow restaurants, bars, and nightclubs to serve alcohol until 5 a.m.—three hours later than usual—from Jan. 17 to Jan. 21.
The Washington Post
Males are harder hit by the recession than females
Some 1.1 million fewer men are working in the U.S. than a year ago, while the number of women working has increased by 12,000. The industries that men dominate, such as investment, construction, and manufacturing, are particularly hard hit by the recession.
The Boston Globe
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
Subscribe to the Week