The Miracle Worker
Denver Performing Arts Complex
This production “will stand as both a eulogy and a legacy to” playwright William Gibson, who recently died, said The Denver Post. Gibson’s 1960 play remains a visceral live experience, and 12-year-old actress Daria LeGrand here gives an uncanny performance as Helen Keller.
I Love My Wife
Leah Thompson and Seinfeld’s Jason Alexander star in this somewhat dated Cy Coleman/Michael Stewart musical about spouse-swapping, said the Orange County, Calif., Register. While it’s hardly a “timeless masterpiece,” Alexander has tweaked it into an affectionate period piece.
New Haven, Conn.
A Civil War Christmas
Long Wharf Theatre
Pulitzer Prize winner Paula Vogel’s largest-scale work to date “could give Dickens a run for his holiday money,” said Variety. This historical patchwork featuring Abraham Lincoln, Clara Barton, Walt Whitman, and others “taps into seasonal themes of redemption, forgiveness, and community, with a decidedly American bent.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week