The Miracle Worker
Denver Performing Arts Complex
This production “will stand as both a eulogy and a legacy to” playwright William Gibson, who recently died, said The Denver Post. Gibson’s 1960 play remains a visceral live experience, and 12-year-old actress Daria LeGrand here gives an uncanny performance as Helen Keller.
I Love My Wife
Leah Thompson and Seinfeld’s Jason Alexander star in this somewhat dated Cy Coleman/Michael Stewart musical about spouse-swapping, said the Orange County, Calif., Register. While it’s hardly a “timeless masterpiece,” Alexander has tweaked it into an affectionate period piece.
New Haven, Conn.
A Civil War Christmas
Long Wharf Theatre
Pulitzer Prize winner Paula Vogel’s largest-scale work to date “could give Dickens a run for his holiday money,” said Variety. This historical patchwork featuring Abraham Lincoln, Clara Barton, Walt Whitman, and others “taps into seasonal themes of redemption, forgiveness, and community, with a decidedly American bent.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week