Most people would agree that “porn and religion” are not a “match made in heaven,” said Hugo Daniel in the Mail Online. “But Playboy appears to believe they're a winning combination and has put the Virgin Mary nude” on the cover of its Christmas issue in Mexico. To top it off, the issue was published “the day before the traditional Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe, a national celebration that commemorates an apparition of the Virgin in the country.” This is “sure to cause” an "uproar."
As it should, said the blog Your Functional Barren. “As a guy who is indifferent about religion,” even I find this “offensive.” We’re talking about the Virgin Mary here, “one of the most recognized and respected figures in biblical history, being portrayed nude.” And aside from being appalling, this is clearly a desperate attempt by Playboy to “cause a stir.” Pathetic.
Sure, Playboy is definitely making a “statement” by doing this, said College on the Record. But come on, the magazine isn’t exactly “synonymous with solid religious values.” Does it really surprise anyone that Playboy would combine “hot naked pictures with Catholic purity?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week