ost people would agree that “porn and religion” are not a “match made in heaven,” said Hugo Daniel in the Mail Online. “But Playboy appears to believe they're a winning combination and has put the Virgin Mary nude” on the cover of its Christmas issue in Mexico. To top it off, the issue was published “the day before the traditional Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe, a national celebration that commemorates an apparition of the Virgin in the country.” This is “sure to cause” an "uproar."
As it should, said the blog Your Functional Barren. “As a guy who is indifferent about religion,” even I find this “offensive.” We’re talking about the Virgin Mary here, “one of the most recognized and respected figures in biblical history, being portrayed nude.” And aside from being appalling, this is clearly a desperate attempt by Playboy to “cause a stir.” Pathetic.
Sure, Playboy is definitely making a “statement” by doing this, said College on the Record. But come on, the magazine isn’t exactly “synonymous with solid religious values.” Does it really surprise anyone that Playboy would combine “hot naked pictures with Catholic purity?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week