s director Guy Ritchie re-imagining detective Sherlock Holmes as “a head-cracking, mano-a-mano, bare-knuckle ass-whupper”? said Andrew Pulver in the Guardian. Based on the new photo Warner Brothers just released of a shirtless Robert Downey Jr. in the lead role, it appears so. Ritchie seems to be “taking seriously the challenge that Jason Bourne and, more recently, James Bond have thrown down: Action movies must now be fast, furious and—crucially—tight-trousered.”
Ritchie’s movies have always been fast-paced, contained a lot of action, and starred attractive men, said Alex Billington in FirstShowing.net. Take Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; Snatch; and RocknRolla, for instance. Ritchie knows what he’s doing, and we’re sure that his take on Sherlock Holmes will be great.
Well, Warner Brothers’ decision to bring this image of Robert Downey Jr. “out so early” suggests that “this will be a brutal film,” said Neil Miller in Film School Rejects, “which should get mixed reaction from Holmes purists.” Ritchie’s adaptation could be “exciting,” but I hope it still holds “on to the intellectual roots of the character.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week