Penguins are the newest combatant in the culture wars, said Elyas Bakhtiari in The Moderate Voice. A couple of gay penguins were ejected from their colony in a Chinese zoo, Polar Land, because zookeepers “(invoking the little-known Zoo Proposition 8)” wanted “to prevent them from stealing eggs and ruining the sanctity of hetero penguin marriage.” But “pro-gay-penguin-rights activists” protested, so their handlers gave them eggs from an inexperienced mother and they turned out to be the best parents in the colony.
Gay activists should be careful what they read into the drama at the zoo, said Don Surber in West Virginia's Daily Mail online. If the plight of the same-sex penguin pairs proves that being gay is natural, the fact that the rest of the colony didn't want them to take care of other birds' eggs "proves that being anti-gay is natural," too.
All this proves, said Caroline Graham in Britain’s Daily Mail, is that male penguins, gay or straight, are driven by an urge to be fathers, according to wildlife experts. And since the same-sex couples can’t produce eggs on their own, zoo officials merely wanted to separate them from the parents in the colony to avoid creating disturbances at hatching time.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week