Penguins are the newest combatant in the culture wars, said Elyas Bakhtiari in The Moderate Voice. A couple of gay penguins were ejected from their colony in a Chinese zoo, Polar Land, because zookeepers “(invoking the little-known Zoo Proposition 8)” wanted “to prevent them from stealing eggs and ruining the sanctity of hetero penguin marriage.” But “pro-gay-penguin-rights activists” protested, so their handlers gave them eggs from an inexperienced mother and they turned out to be the best parents in the colony.
Gay activists should be careful what they read into the drama at the zoo, said Don Surber in West Virginia's Daily Mail online. If the plight of the same-sex penguin pairs proves that being gay is natural, the fact that the rest of the colony didn't want them to take care of other birds' eggs "proves that being anti-gay is natural," too.
All this proves, said Caroline Graham in Britain’s Daily Mail, is that male penguins, gay or straight, are driven by an urge to be fathers, according to wildlife experts. And since the same-sex couples can’t produce eggs on their own, zoo officials merely wanted to separate them from the parents in the colony to avoid creating disturbances at hatching time.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week