Good week for:
Finding Obama under the tree, after gift shops in Washington, D.C., began selling a dozen different Barack Obama items, including T-shirts, action figures, dolls, coffee mugs, and a jack-in-the-box who springs out with a big Obama smile.
Unlimited minutes, after American Funeral Director magazine reported a new trend: people being buried with their cell phones. “I’ve seen people leave cell phones on and tell me they’re going to call their loved one later,” said Pam Vetter. “Not that anyone will answer, but they want to have that connection.”
Revenge, after Internet security analysts warned that legions
of laid-off IT workers would likely turn to cybercrime to pay their bills.
Bad week for:
Taking a personal day, after a Buffalo man told police that his boss and another man kicked down his door, dragged him out of the house, and drove him to the restaurant where he works and ordered him to clean a Dumpster. The boss did, however, then give the employee a paycheck.
Perspective, after a Catholic cardinal in Chile denounced Madonna’s “incredibly shameful behavior” at a concert in Santiago and called her “an offense to God.” Cardinal Jorge Medina made the remarks at a Mass for the late dictator Augusto Pinochet, under whose rule tens of thousands of political opponents were executed, tortured, or “disappeared.”
Couch potatoes, after a Cleveland Browns fan was ticketed for driving a motorized sofa to a game. Police said the sofa was unregistered and had expired plates.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- Girls on Film: Belle is one of the most groundbreaking, joyous movies of the summer
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
Subscribe to the Week